Here is the latest news from the Lakeridge JH Parent Club:
Thank you to everyone who attended the Parent Club General Meeting on Nov. 7th and voted to support the experiential learning proposal for the use of the Barn Bash funds. Already our 8th graders have gotten to experience Plasma Science and the 6th graders this week will get to visit the King Tut Exhibit at OMSI. We'd also like to thank Jenna Philpott for sharing her story on parenting children with dyslexia and for shedding light on the subject of dyslexia and how the district currently screens for it in K-2. Meeting minutes and financial statements will be posted online by the end of this week.
Barn Bash Party Boards: For those who didn't sign up at Barn Bash, the Casino Royale Party has a few openings left! Enjoy a Las Vegas experience with regulation size gaming tables for Black Jack and Roulette as well as experienced dealers to create an exciting and unique party experience! Get your friends and sign up for a fun night of food, drinks and prizes! Sign up online here: Click Here
Nov. 14th Parent Education Night is Postponed: To better prepare for effective school-wide activities for parents and students in connection with our Embrace Different theme, and to allow parents to attend SSPAC's event at Lakeridge High School on November 14th, we have decided to postpone our Embrace Different evening of parent learning on November 14th and our student assemblies previously scheduled for November 15th until January. We will still engage students in activities connected to diversity, equity, and inclusion through classroom-based lessons on November 15th. More details about these learning experiences will be shared in upcoming listserv messages. We look forward to kicking off the 2019 calendar-year by continuing to build on our Embrace Different theme through our rescheduled parent and student learning events. Thanks for noting this change on our calendar.Please mark your calendars with these important dates:
- December 12th, 9:00AM Parent Club General Meeting
- November 12th Parent Club Meeting 9:00AM - 10:30AM: We will be hearing from Principal Schultz on the latest plans about moving out of West Campus and into portables, construction timelines, as well as changes to parking due to construction.
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- ART LIT for 6th Grade Parents: It's not too late to lend a hand with Art Lit. No Art Lit experience is necessary. The next training session is Tuesday, November 27th from 9:00-10:30AM in room 16. If your child has Doebler for Social Studies, the presentation will be in class on Tuesday, December 4th and the project will be Wednesday, December 5th. If your child has Demski or Byers, the presentation will be in class on Thursday, December 6th and the project will be on Friday, December 7th. Please contact the 6th grade Art Lit Coordinators if you are interested in helping out. E-mail Andrea Tongue at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jenn Petersen at email@example.com .
- LUNCH MONITORS: Be a part of your child’s day by spending 30 minutes at school for lunchtime supervision. Feel free to SIGN UP or just drop in. Click HERE for the daily schedule. “A” Lunch is for 6th graders only and “B” and “C” lunches are for 7th and 8th graders.
- School Store Help Needed: Our awesome school store is need of a volunteer every other Tuesday, during "A" Lunch (11:29AM - 11:59AM). Contact Susan Stohl at firstname.lastname@example.org for details if you would like to help.
- We will be posting upcoming volunteer opportunities each week. Contact Lynne Thompson, our Volunteer Coordinator with questions at email@example.com.
- Our school store has some awesome new apparel options that will be available for purchase. Don't forget to check out the new hoodies and sweatshirts pictured below. These are priced at $35 and would make an awesome gift for your kiddo. Or buy one for yourself and show your own school spirit! Cash and checks are accepted at the School Store. Checks should be made out to LJHS Parent Club.
- Please remember that your used printer cartridges are always welcome at the school store. Get that clutter off your desk and have your student drop off your used cartridges at the school office. These are exchanged for credit through the Staples Reward Program. Win-Win!
- Printed directories will be distributed to advisory classrooms by the end of the week. There will be a small amount of directories for sale at the school store if anyone wants to buy one.
- Can you believe the holidays are right around the corner? Did you know that when you shop you can also support LJHS Parent Club. Please remember to choose the Lakeridge Junior High School Parent Club as the charity of your choice when you shop through the Amazon Smile Program. Just go to smile.amazon.com and sign up. Then choose Lakeridge Junior High Parent Club. A portion of every order will come to us. Shopping through the smile program is exactly the same as shopping on the normal Amazon website. It's another Win-Win!
- ¡Bienvenidos a Peru! Our 8th grade Spanish immersion students and several advanced Spanish students are heading to Peru for a two week homestay this June. To raise funds for student scholarships, we are hosting the “Trek to Machu Picchu” fundraiser at River Grove Elementary school on December 7th at 4:15pm. Come and fill up your passport at this special culture fair and learn all about Peru. The Trek at River Grove is followed by an offsite family friendly BBQ. Register here for more information.
- Lost and Found: Has your child lost a lunch box, hoodie, jacket, water bottle or anything else? Have you checked the lost and found? It is overflowing with stuff.
LJHS Parent Club - General Meeting Schedule: For a calendar view of LJHS Parent Club events and meetings please click HERE. December 12th: 9:00AM - 10:30AM in the library. Update on new building, move from W. campus & parkingJanuary 23rd: 9:00AM - 10:30AM in the library. Topic TBDFebruary 5th/6th: 7:00PM Parent Education Night. Shattering Stigma March 13th: 9:00AM - 10:30AM in the library. Topic TBDApril 24th: 9:00AM - 10:30AM in the library. Topic TBD May 22nd: 9:00AM - 10:30AM. End of year Parent Club Tea
Your 2018-2019 LJHS Parent Club Executive Board:
Ashley Krause and Tamara Divergilio, Co-Presidents
Sarah Howell and Kirsten Carnese, Co-Vice President
Zsu Winston, Treasurer
Lynne Thompson, Volunteer Coordinator
Lara James, Secretary