This is your weekly email from your Lakeridge Junior High PARENT CLUB (our version of a Parent-Teacher organization.) We’ll keep you up-to-date on our events and ways to get involved.
IMPORTANT DATES (see details below)
- THIS WEDNESDAY - January 20, 6pm, Lakeridge HS Library: LOSD Long Range Facilities Planning Committee presentation to the public -- important meeting about the future of our schools.
- January 25, 6pm, Lake Oswego HS: LOSD Long Range Facilities Planning Committee Recommendation to LOSD School Board. Open to the public.
- January 25-26: Student class forecasting for current 6th/7th graders. Volunteers Needed!
- February 17, 12pm, Oregon Golf Club: Lake Oswego Schools Foundation Luncheon - Tickets on sale now.
- February 24, 7:30pm, Lakeridge Junior HS: Next General Parent Club Meeting - EVENING meeting and Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum to discuss potential school facilities changes. Parent questions/comments encouraged.
POTENTIAL CHANGES TO OUR SCHOOLS
The LOSD Long Range Facilities Planning Committee has been discussing our community’s school facilities and educational needs for months and are getting ready to present their recommendations to the School Board across four areas: educational programming school grade organization alternatives, other district property use and future committee oversight.
At this point, they are planning to recommend further research into two options, as presented by the LRFP Committee meeting on January 7th (click here for the Jan 15 full report)
- Option A: Replace Lakeridge Junior High and Oak Creek Elementary schools (the schools in the worst condition) and consider consolidating two of the existing elementary schools, resulting in a total of five elementary schools.
- Option B: Consolidate the high schools into one campus (located at the Lake Oswego High School site), consolidate the junior highs into one campus (at the Lakeridge High School site), create two replacement elementary schools (located at the Lakeridge Junior High site), consider alternative grade organization and reconfigured campuses.
- January 20, 6-8pm (Lakeridge High School Library): The Long Range Facilities Planning Committee will present its findings to the public and will welcome comments and questions. This is the last open meeting before they present their recommendations to the school board.
- January 25, 6-9pm (Lake Oswego High School): The LRFP Committee will present their recommendations to the LOSD School Board. This is open to the public. Acceptance by the Board of the recommendations (in full or in part) will be followed by committees to study and pursue a bond to raise money for these changes.
- February 24, 7:30-9pm: Lakeridge Junior High Parent Club Meeting and Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum on the facilities research, potential changes and next steps. A few Long Range Facilities Planning Committee members and a representative of the School Board will be there to answer your questions. Parents are encouraged to attend.
1) Recommendations in the Long Range Facilities Plan will be presented to the School Board for consideration. The School Board may approve or reject recommendations, or refer recommendations for additional study. 2) A community engagement process will be initiated to gather perspective and feedback regarding the future of our schools and educational programs. 3) A citizen Bond Development Committee will be charged with the task of transforming the tenets and recommendations contained within the Board-approved LRFP into a set of proposed physical improvements and repairs to Lake Oswego's schools.
VOLUNTEER NEEDS - PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!
- Student Forecasting: Parent volunteers needed to help 6th and 7th graders fill out their online forms to forecast their classes for next year. Training will be provided on January 22 from 10-10:30 and forecasting to occur January 25 & 26. Volunteer slots available for full or part day. Sign up here.
- Auction Help for Other Schools: There are two auctions coming up that need our parent volunteers (just as they volunteer for our auction). Each school needs 4-6 volunteers, so grab a friend or two and help where you can:
- Crossing Guard at Bryant & Jean Intersection - We are still looking for parents to help children crossing at the intersection of Bryant and Jean roads. The visibility is extremely poor and many parents have called the school with concern. Can you help, either before or after school gets out? Contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions.
- Lunch Monitor: Be a part of your child's day by spending half an hour at school for lunchtime activity and outside supervision. It is super easy and doesn’t take much time. Three people needed every full school day. Schedule your preferred days and times. Sign up here.
BRING IN YOUR BOX TOPS
Each one is worth 10 cents! Find participating BoxTops on hundreds of products. Please drop off BoxTops in the bright blue box hanging on the wall outside the LJHS office. Some are expiring soon so don't delay. If you have any questions, please contact the BoxTops Coordinator, Anne Lambson at email@example.com. Thank you for supporting our school!
SAVE THE DATE: LOSD FOUNDATION LUNCHEON
February 17th at the Oregon Golf Club - 12-1pm
25700 SW Petes Mountain Rd, West Linn, OR 97068
The keynote speaker is Rob Franek, Senior Vice President-Publisher at The Princeton Review. Rob is lead author or co-author of: The Best 397 Colleges, Colleges That Pay Your Back: The 200 Best Value Colleges and What It Takes to Get In, and The U Fits: Expert Advice on Finding the Right College and Getting Accepted. He has appeared over a dozen times on NBC "Today," as well as on ABC "Good Morning America," CBS "This Morning," and on several FOX, CNN, and NPR programs. Tickets are $40 each. To purchase tickets, call Kim Wagner at 503-534-2118 or Jennifer Zagacki at 503-534-2106. Seating is limited, so don’t delay!
- Want to help but don’t see anything that fits your availability or interests? We can find something for you! You can sign up here or contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions.
- See the PARENT CLUB WEBSITE or the LJHS WEBSITE for more information
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook!