This is your weekly email from your Lakeridge Junior High PARENT CLUB (our version of a Parent-Teacher organization.) We’ll keep you up-to-date on our events and ways to get involved.
IMPORTANT DATES (see details below)
- CLOSING TONIGHT AT 11PM: LOSD “thoughtexchange” for public input on school facilities issues/visions
- THIS TUESDAY, February 23, 6-8pm, Lakeridge Junior HS: Science Night for all LJHS families
- THIS WEDNESDAY, February 24, 7:30pm, Lakeridge Junior HS: Next General Parent Club Meeting - EVENING meeting and Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum to discuss potential school facilities changes. Parent questions/comments encouraged.
- ALL WEEK, Lakeridge Junior High School: Soccer gear drive (new or gently used) for less fortunate kids in Portland
TODAY IS LAST DAY FOR THOUGHT EXCHANGE “SHARE” STEP
The LOSD “thoughtexchange” is open for public input on facilities options until tonight 2/21 at 11pm. Parents and other community members were already sent email invitations. If you did not get an invitation, you can click here to give your input. Please take the time to share your opinions!
THIS TUESDAY: ALL INVITED TO LJHS SCIENCE NIGHT
Tuesday, February 23rd, 6-8pm -- Lakeridge Junior High School
The LJHS Science Department is excited to announce that on Tuesday, February 23rd, we will be holding our first annual SCIENCE NIGHT! In the past, this event was primarily an 8th grade Science Fair project exhibition, but this year it has been dramatically expanded.
Come join us for a night of learning and fun that includes:
- Project demonstrations from all three grade levels (solar cars, earthquake shake tables etc.)
- Hands-on activities (stomp rocket design and testing)
- Raffle ticket sales with great prizes (OMSI tickets and more!) - money raised will support the Science Department. BE SURE TO BRING CASH FOR RAFFLE TICKETS!
- School Store will be open for Lightning gear, cuddle blankets and more
THIS WEDNESDAY: PARENT CLUB MEETING + LONG RANGE FACILITIES DISCUSSION
February 24, 7:30-9pm at Lakeridge Junior High School Library
Please join us for two events in one: our Parent Club Meeting (where we’ll vote on how to spend some of the money earned so far) and a Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum (on the facilities research, potential changes and next steps.) A Committee members and a representative of the School Board will be there to answer your questions. Parents are encouraged to attend.
THIS WEEK ONLY: SOCCER GEAR DRIVE
February 22-26th -- Look for the donation bin outside of the office and secure cash box on the counter in the office.
LJHS sixth grader Mayah Greenfield is organizing a drive to collect new or gently used soccer gear (cleats, shin guards, clothes, balls and anything else used for soccer) to be shared with kids in Portland who can’t afford to play for a team, much less pay for all of the gear. She will also be collecting small amounts of money to be used to buy extremely durable balls for kids in Africa to enjoy. Each one of these balls gets used by about 50 kids every day. The balls cost about $25 dollars each, so if everyone in the school donated just a single dollar, it could buy so many soccer balls, which would make tons of kids happy! Thanks for your support and thank you Mayah for organizing this drive!
AUCTION VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: There is one more auction coming up that needs our parent volunteers (just as they volunteer for our auction). So grab a friend and help where you can: River Grove Auction - March 12, Marylhurst University. Sign up here.
7TH GRADE OREGON ZOO FIELD TRIP -- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
Tuesday, March 8th - 8am - 2:15pm -- 7th graders
All 7th grade students will be visiting the Oregon Zoo on a science-based field trip to observe and analyze animal adaptations. They also complete activities that involve skills from their math and language arts classes. In order to make this exciting off-site learning experience possible, we need parent volunteers to help chaperon groups! The zoo requires that there be at least one adult per eight students on the trip, so if you are able and willing to join us for a day of learning and fun, sign up here. *Please note: volunteers will ride the buses with us to the zoo* Please email your child's 7th grade science teacher if you have any questions regarding this exciting volunteer opportunity: Brittany Larson (email@example.com), Matt Briggs (firstname.lastname@example.org), Trevor Tesar (email@example.com) Thanks in advance for helping make this happen!
VOLUNTEER NEEDS - PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!
- Crossing Guard at Bryant & Jean Intersection - We are still looking for parents to help children crossing at the intersection of Bryant and Jean roads. The visibility is extremely poor and many parents have called the school with concern. Can you help, either before or after school gets out? Contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions. Thank you Cheryl Travers for your amazing help so far!
- Lunch Monitor: Be a part of your child's day by spending half an hour at school for lunchtime activity and outside supervision. It is super easy and doesn’t take much time. Three people needed every full school day. Schedule your preferred days and times. Sign up here.
BRING IN YOUR BOX TOPS
Each one is worth 10 cents! Find participating BoxTops on hundreds of products. Please drop off BoxTops in the bright blue box hanging on the wall outside the LJHS office. Some are expiring soon so don't delay. If you have any questions, please contact the BoxTops Coordinator, Anne Lambson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for supporting our school!
- Want to help but don’t see anything that fits your availability or interests? We can find something for you! You can sign up here or contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions.
- See the PARENT CLUB WEBSITE or the LJHS WEBSITE for more information
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook!