This is your weekly email from your Lakeridge Junior High PARENT CLUB (our version of a Parent-Teacher organization.) We’ll keep you up-to-date on our events and ways to get involved.
IMPORTANT DATES (see details below)
- Now until 2/21 11pm: LOSD “thoughtexchange” open for public input on school facilities issues/visions
- THIS WEDNESDAY, February 17, 12pm, Oregon Golf Club: Lake Oswego Schools Foundation Luncheon - Tickets on sale now.
- February 23, 6-8pm, Lakeridge Junior HS: Science Night for all LJHS families
- February 24, 7:30pm, Lakeridge Junior HS: Next General Parent Club Meeting - EVENING meeting and Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum to discuss potential school facilities changes. Parent questions/comments encouraged.
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW: LOSD FOUNDATION LUNCHEON - THIS WEDNESDAY!
February 17th at the Oregon Golf Club, 12-1pm
25700 SW Petes Mountain Rd, West Linn, OR 97068
The keynote speaker is Rob Franek, Senior Vice President-Publisher at The Princeton Review. Rob is lead author or co-author of: The Best 397 Colleges, Colleges That Pay Your Back: The 200 Best Value Colleges and What It Takes to Get In, and The U Fits: Expert Advice on Finding the Right College and Getting Accepted. He has appeared over a dozen times on NBC "Today," as well as on ABC "Good Morning America," CBS "This Morning," and on several FOX, CNN, and NPR programs. Tickets are $40 each. To purchase tickets, visit Foundation site, call Kim Wagner at 503-534-2118 or Jennifer Zagacki at 503-534-2106. Seating is limited, so don’t delay!
LOSD LONG RANGE FACILITIES PLANNING - YOUR INPUT IS WANTED!
- NOW until Feb. 21 at 11pm: LOSD “thoughtexchange” is open for public input on facilities options. Parents and other community members were sent email invitations last week. If you did not get an invitation, you can click here to give your input.It could take as little as 5-10 minutes to participate.
- February 24, 7:30-9pm: Lakeridge Junior High Parent Club Meeting and Long Range Facilities Planning Committee open forum on the facilities research, potential changes and next steps. A few Long Range Facilities Planning Committee members and a representative of the School Board will be there to answer your questions. Parents are encouraged to attend.
- Forest Hills Auction - February 20, Hilton Downtown Portland. Contact Sara Patinkin at email@example.com
- River Grove Auction - March 12, Marylhurst University. Sign up here.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 6-8pm -- Lakeridge Junior High School
The LJHS Science Department is excited to announce that on Tuesday, February 23rd, we will be holding our first annual SCIENCE NIGHT! In the past, this event was primarily an 8th grade Science Fair project exhibition, but this year it has been dramatically expanded. Come join us for a night of learning and fun that includes:
- project demonstrations from all three grade levels (solar cars, earthquake shake tables and more!)
- hands-on activities (stomp rocket design and testing)
- raffle ticket sales with great prizes (OMSI tickets and more!)
- an open school store for Lightning gear
- other fun events
Tuesday, March 8th - 8am - 2:15pm -- 7th graders
All 7th grade students will be visiting the Oregon Zoo on a science-based field trip to observe and analyze animal adaptations. They also complete activities that involve skills from their math and language arts classes. In order to make this exciting off-site learning experience possible, we need parent volunteers to help chaperon groups! The zoo requires that there be at least one adult per eight students on the trip, so if you are able and willing to join us for a day of learning and fun, sign up here. *Please note: volunteers will ride the buses with us to the zoo* Please email your child's 7th grade science teacher if you have any questions regarding this exciting volunteer opportunity: Brittany Larson (firstname.lastname@example.org), Matt Briggs (email@example.com), Trevor Tesar (firstname.lastname@example.org) Thanks in advance for helping make this happen!
HELPING A LAKERIDGE JUNIOR HIGH FAMILY
One of our 7th grade students, Erin Keppel, and her two younger siblings lost their father over the winter break. A meal train was started by River Grove Elementary in January and we are extending this to the LJHS community to offer additional support to the family through the month of February. The link to the TakeThemAMeal website is here. Their mother, Airene, is so grateful for the help and support during this unimaginably challenging time. Please deliver your meal between 5pm - 6pm. There will be a cooler on the front porch -- please just place your meal in the cooler. There are no dietary restrictions, however, Airene has noted that the kids are not fond of a lot of vegetables (who is?!), so please consider doing a separate/side dish for your vegetables (or sneakily hide them so they don't know they are eating them). Some of the kids' favorite meals are Chinese (Panda Express), Pizza, and Burgers (Fuddruckers). Thank you so much! If you have any questions please call Callie Charon at 503-534-2343.
VOLUNTEER NEEDS - PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!
- Crossing Guard at Bryant & Jean Intersection - We are still looking for parents to help children crossing at the intersection of Bryant and Jean roads. The visibility is extremely poor and many parents have called the school with concern. Can you help, either before or after school gets out? Contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions.
- Lunch Monitor: Be a part of your child's day by spending half an hour at school for lunchtime activity and outside supervision. It is super easy and doesn’t take much time. Three people needed every full school day. Schedule your preferred days and times. Sign up here.
Each one is worth 10 cents! Find participating BoxTops on hundreds of products. Please drop off BoxTops in the bright blue box hanging on the wall outside the LJHS office. Some are expiring soon so don't delay. If you have any questions, please contact the BoxTops Coordinator, Anne Lambson at email@example.com. Thank you for supporting our school!
- Want to help but don’t see anything that fits your availability or interests? We can find something for you! You can sign up here or contact Kari Curry or Tamara DiVergilio with questions.
- See the PARENT CLUB WEBSITE or the LJHS WEBSITE for more information
- Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook!